As part of “Operation Phoenix” the Victorian Railways commenced the upgrading of country branch lines. They ordered 13 102 horsepower railmotors (road numbers were RM1 to RM13)and 16 153 horsepower railmotors (road numbers 20RM to 35RM) from Walker Brothers in England in 1953.
They were used all over the VR system with the last 153hp railmotor running until 1981.
Several are preserved including RM7 at Spa Country Railway in Daylesford and RM22 at the Yarra Valley Tourist Railway.
15 trailer cars were also built and were placed in service between 1948 and 1954.
Photos are for illustrative purposes only.
Prices and specifications are subject to change without notice.