The X class 2-8-2 ‘Mikado’ ran on the Victorian Railways between 1929 and 1961 as a mainline goods locomotive. They were the most powerful goods locomotive on the VR until the advent of diesel-electric traction, and operated over the key Bendigo, Wodonga, and Gippsland mainlines.
In 1949, X 32 was fitted with German 'Stug' (Studiengesellschaft) equipment and a specially modified tender for the burning of Pulverised Brown Coal (PBC).
Initial trials were successful and the locomotive was considerably more powerful as a result of the conversion. X 32 was taken out of service in 1956 pending repairs, but was instead scrapped in 1957.
X 36 was withdrawn in May 1961 after 741,609 miles (1,193,504 km) of service and is today preserved at the ARHS North Williamstown Railway Museum
Photos are for illustrative purposes only.
Prices and specifications are subject to change without notice.